Why Learn Indonesian Language
Bahasaku.id – Why should you learn Indonesian language ? As the fourth most populous nation in the world, Indonesia has more than 150 millions of native Indonesian speakers now, making Indonesian language the official language of the country. Being similar to the Malay language widely spoken in Malaysia, it will also be very easy for you to understand Malay if you learn how to speak Indonesian.
Reasons to Learn Indonesian Language
There are many good reasons why you should learn Indonesian language.
- Business people
If you plan to relocate to Indonesia or wish to stay in Indonesia for some time for work or business, then it is time that you should learn the language. It is because most Indonesians do not speak English or any foreign language at all, and they only speak Indonesian and a local dialect. Therefore it will be very useful if you can speak the language with anyone within your office or at home (driver or helper) during your stay in Indonesia. Just imagine how frustrating it’d be if you can’t communicate with those around you especially in an emergency situation.
- Frequent travelers to Indonesia
Either you travel to Indonesia for business purposes or simply as a tourist, it will be beneficial if you can speak the language when you are in the country. There will be times when you need to communicate with the locals, e.g. for shopping and bargaining, asking for directions, buying a ticket, ordering food in a restaurant, or maybe only a small chat with people around you.
- Researchers or students
If you plan to come to Indonesia as a researcher or a student, then learning Indonesian is definitely a must. You don’t need to master the language in order to communicate with the locals. By learning the language only within a short period of time can help you understand simple conversation in Indonesian. This will help you a lot in your work field as a researcher or a student.
Planning to teach Indonesian language in your home country? Then it is time for you to deepen your knowledge in Indonesian with us. Our English speaking, native Indonesian teachers can give you deeper insight of Indonesian terms or phrases based on our perspective as a native speaker. This is an added bonus that you will get from us as native Indonesian speakers. This is also something which is very difficult for you to obtain if you learn only from books or those who are not native speakers.
If you are a housewife following your spouse working in Indonesia, then it will be very helpful if you can speak the local language so that you can interact with people around you, including with your helper or driver or personal assistant, also when you are going to the market, going shopping and bargaining, going to a restaurant or doing any other activities here in Indonesia. Staying in Indonesia for some time will make you communicate with the locals in Indonesian. This is a very good reason why you should learn Indonesian language.
How to Learn Indonesian Language Effectively
For those who have tried learning Indonesian language for a few years either by application or self-study books but still can’t really communicate well with the Indonesians, you might need to check if you have done the following things:
- Increase your vocabularyIn order to be able to converse with the locals, you need to have enough vocabulary so that you can make your own sentences and be engaged in conversation.
- Understand the grammarIndonesian grammar is considered very simple therefore some knowledge of how to build a good sentence based on a good structure is required in order to be able to make good sentences which can be understood by others.
- Practice your listening skillsMany English speaking people say that the Indonesians speak very fast. But this issue can easily be minimized if you improve your vocabulary so that you can catch each word that the speaker says to you. If you are still a beginner or at intermediate level, try to listen to Indonesian news broadcast on TV or radio where the announcers use formal Indonesian words only and try to understand the meaning. If you do this regularly, you can try listening to Indonesian songs or movies which are more challenging as they use slang Indonesian words sometimes.
- Try to get yourself an Indonesian language teacherThere are many apps now which you can download easily on the internet on how to learn Indonesian language which contains reading and listening too. However most of these apps contain very basic knowledge of Indonesian words only. These don’t really help you on how to speak or communicate in Indonesian in many different situations. And you can’t get any guidance if you make some mistakes in your pronunciation or other aspects either. Therefore it’s highly recommended that you get yourself a private Indonesian language teacher who can really guide you on how to improve your overall Indonesian speaking skills.
Learning Indonesian language is not as difficult as you might think it is. You just need to have a good system of how to make it work for you. Below are some more tips for those who’d like to study Indonesian:
Learning Indonesian language via online application could be fun as you can fit it into your own personal schedule anytime and anywhere. The problem might arise if you’re not sure which app is suitable for you. Below are some useful tips on how to learn Indonesian language via apps.
Learn Indonesian Language Tip #1: Choose the suitable Indonesian language learning app
Well, if you’re a pure beginner, try to get an Indonesian learning app which allows you to increase your basic vocabulary first. These include colors, numbers, adjectives, verbs, and things around you, such as animals, objects, and many more. And if possible, try to find an app in video format, not just audio format, which allows you to read the words as well as listen to the pronunciation at the same time.
Learn Indonesian Language Tip #2: Write down the words
Before you start running your Indonesian language learning app, try to get yourself a notebook and a pen and write down all the words that you learn on each day. Try to read and study all the Indonesian words and practice by reading it out loud and see if you still remember the meanings.
Learn Indonesian Language Tip #3: Flash Cards
Some learners can memorize the words better by the help of flash cards. Some others have different method to study the Indonesian words. If flash cards can help you improve your Indonesian vocabulary, you can find some flash cards online too.
Nowadays there are many Indonesian learning PDF files that you can get online that can help you learn Indonesian language with your own pace. You can usually obtain these files from an education institution either for free or with a little fee. Some of these files are also accompanied by audio files in mp3 formats which can help you improve your Indonesian listening skills as well.
For those who already have enough Indonesian vocabulary and would love to improve their Indonesian grammar, these PDF files could be suitable for them. They can keep these learning Indonesian language PDF files in their mobile and study these whenever they can.
There are many ways to learn Indonesian freely. You can find many applications online that can help you learn the language free. All you have to do is download the app and run them. Most of these apps are for beginners which contain the most used vocabulary in many situations. You can also learn the basic Indonesian conversation from some apps and even some videos on youtube.
If you’re still a beginner, learning Indonesian language through Indonesian songs or movies could be a bit challenging for you, not only because the speakers say the words and sentences too fast, but also because many Indonesians use colloquial words in many situations. So it’d be best if you download some apps and study some simple words and conversations first. If your Indonesian has improved, you can start looking for more free Indonesian learning files online.